Skip to main content

Loonies CAN run the Asylum!




I've made it a rule, throughout my career as a writer, never to write something when I'm really angry.  Or, at least, not to send it until I've gone through it again with a cooler mindset.. 

But then again, I've never liked rules. So yeah: I'm angry.  And yeah - frankly my dears, I don't give a damn: I'm going to press the "Post" button as soon as I'm finished.

Because I've just come from this site: http://bit.ly/1nn0xLU and the discussion concerning proposed further marginalisation of the tired, the poor, the huddled masses.

The discussion centres around what comes across as a rather flippant idea to further deprive the lowest sector of society - people who are unable to work because they are - either temporarily or permanently - looney tunes.  

In Machiavellian terms we - the citizens of la-la Land, are a pretty safe bet.  We have no power.  We are not "organised".  We have no Voice. We are also conveniently situated in the hidden part of Society - the muck at the bottom of the Ladder - where no-one but the occasional Minder ever visits; and where, let's face it, we can't cause any more trouble than is already seething about down here. Besides all of which, over-archingly, is the fact that we're not all playing with a full deck.

Waving a wand to limit us to a weekly amount approximately equal to the price of taking a colleague out to luncheon is not, as some of the comments on the above article stated, "Evil".  Neither is Cameron.  They are just indices of the truism that we are all products of our environment. If you've never come face-to-face with, for example, the various native populations of Papua New Guinea, no-one could fault you for not being able to shape policy for them. If you've never climbed right down the societal ladder, closed your eyes and jumped into the dank puddle at the bottom of it, you are, however, equally unable to shape policy for pond scum.

Now, as it happens, I DO know something about the native populations of Papua New Guinea. And I was privileged enough to be involved in creating one of their primary historical documents - the very first White Paper for Independence. (Gratuitous info. to indicate that I'm not talking through my backside: I was biPolar then and I'm biPolar now.) 

But now I happen to know what it's like to live on Benefits and be biPolar ... and to be condescended to, pushed around, addressed in "simple English", threatened, and effectively silenced because I don't even have a foot on the bottom rung of The Ladder any more.

And so do a considerable portion of other people throughout the British Isles.

Like any other societal group, we are NOT homogeneous. There's good 'uns and badduns; there are the Tertiary educated and the functionally illiterate; there are kind and the contemptible; the strugglers and the bludgers. We are not a separate sub-species about whom it's impossible to know. And, like all other groups, we are bringing children into... well, not the world, but at least into our environment.  We aren't going away.

And, goddam it, we are soul-achingly, mind-numbingly sick and tired of being viewed through intermediaries, rumour, disinformation, media, and overpaid, partisan members of those who still consider themselves - despite all evidence to the contrary, as the Ruling Class.

We have minds, we have the right to vote, we have voices and we even have personalities. 

And if no-one will seek us out then there are, indeed, those of us who will shout out in voices loud enough to be heard.

This is my own, my native land.  I've spent a lifetime studying, researching, and living our culture, our history, our education, our societal mores, our language - and I have a lot to say.  I will not be muffled by the sounds of silence which, it appears, is incumbent upon us the minute we cash our first Benefit cheque.

And I'm not going to humbly hand over all my power to the people who, over the course of hundreds of years, we have fought and suffered and died to give the right of representation to. If people can't, or refuse to, represent the entire sector of the population in which I find myself, then I'm not going to disregard the struggles and the bloodshed and the history of my country.  I'm going to make a noise.

And, make no mistake, I am going to shout so damn loudly that someone will hear.

I am NOT going quietly into any good night.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade