Skip to main content

Here Doggy, Doggy






The black dog that crawled back up on my shoulder 2 years ago has been a teacup  Chihuahua until recently.

 About ten days ago I realised he’d morphed into a good-sized Labrador.
I think now he’s going for Irish Wolfhound.

Now that black dog is not exclusively the property of Winston Churchill, or Robin Williams or even National Treasure, Stephen Fry. Without even having it explained, every bi-polar person instinctively understands what it means the first time they hear it. Because, perhaps, that feeling of carrying an actual physical burden is so familiar?

 At times it feels like a sack of wheat on one’s shoulders which is pretty grim – but an old, familiar dog? Smelly and noxious nowadays maybe, but intimately known: - he ain’t heavy, he’s my black dog?

Now, even before I was clinically diagnosed at the age of 12, I knew what it was like to feel weighted down – until finally one ends up supine; unable to rise up high enough to get out of bed.

But I never doubted that that it was my choice. The options for getting that dog off were there: it was up to me to ask for help. And to take my meds. And to go to counselling. And to get involved in support groups. And, yes, to do what I could to lend a hand to anyone who was walking down the same road as I.

Now, however, it’s different. For the first time ever since I learned I had a mental illness, I suddenly have no choice at all.

 Never before – in any other First, or even in a Third world country, has any mental health practitioner said to me “I can’t help you.” Never before has my battle with the black dog been totally one-on-one.  I’ve never had to stand up to him before completely unarmed and with no supporters. And, as I said, the weight of the bugger is increasing exponentially: I’m not even sure I’m strong enough to fight this fight for too much longer.

Beside which, it just gets so bloody difficult to fight the good – or any – fight, when it suddenly percolates down into consciousness: There *is* a choice.

One way to stop having to fight this canny canine is, as a certain corporation whispers constantly in our ears, to just do it.

So just stop fighting.  In fact this also obviates the need for support too – if one welcomes the weight of this pernicious pup upon the shoulders then there’s no need to keep putting off the inevitable. The two of you can join forces and go through life together. For ever.

 It’s obviously only polite to choose this option: the whole of the NHS Mental Health sector would have to be completely overhauled in order to provide any kind of realistic options for the mentally ill. It’s a bit self-involved to advocate for this now, isn’t it?

And seriously - from a practical point of view?  Yes, we know: the NHS has to look after millions of really sick, and dangerously ill, people. They’ve got enough on their plates. We can’t really expect them to spend too much money on people who are looney tunes to start off with, can we? I mean, realistically; what’s the point? Besides, half of ‘em aren’t actually ill: - just conning the taxes out of worthy working folk.

The message is finally getting through according to many of the people I’ve interviewed in the past year or so. No doubt even I will cotton on soon. After all, I’m only mentally impaired, not hearing impaired. And I'm told it's being trumpeted out loud and clear.

And it’s true.  If I listen very mindfully I’ll hear the message our government is striving so hard to get across. Faintly above the chatter I hear it now. I think it’s saying..now wait a minute...ah yes!

That’s it: loud and clear across the whole conversation it’s building to a crescendo:

‘FUCK YOU!!’  our duly elected leaders tell us.  And it doth echo from the halls of Whitehall.


And lo! We are well and truly fucked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade