Skip to main content

Navel-Gazing.

                                         


My parents were of the school - rather as if they were straight out of a Wodehouse chapter - which quite naturally used the phrase "Navel gazing". It was an eclectic grouping of everything from deep psychiatric therapy to "finding oneself" to "meditation"...well any form of prolonged thinking about oneself. Not that my parents were averse to spiritual or metaphysical contemplation. Just not about oneself.

As the nuns confirmed that paying too much attention to oneself was the very epitome of vanity, I think I've always thought of it at least as self-indulgent.  As if putting too much thought into why I'd been so upset about something someone had said to me, would be like wolfing down an entire, £1.00 slab of chocolate.

Oh, I've done it of course. Just as I've wolfed down an entire, £1.00 slab of chocolate from time to time. And I've felt the same kind of sinking, sick guilt after having done both.

The thing I find most unexpected right now is that I should, at this stage in my life, have only just discovered this aversion towards spending too much time thinking about my own self because I was, in fact, allowing myself to face up to my own navel. So to speak.

I force myself to read back on the last paragraph and conclude that it's nothing but word-sauce. Which is embarrassing.  I'd thought myself to have cunningly wrought a skillfull turn of phrase - only to discover that, to anyone who didn't know I was ill atm, it looks as though I have at least suffered a stiff blow to the head.

It's rather frightening to sit down at the keyboard, open a blank page in Office, batter away like mad to capture all the clear, logical, humorous and interesting things which have occurred to one while trying out a spot of the old navel-gazing - to find that the products of so-doing appears to be as vapid, empty and hideously and unecessarily convulated as a paragraph from Bertie to Jeeves on the same subject would be.

Even as I write I find the sentence wandering away...heading off down some distant pathway I haven't even glimpsed yet. And if one can't control mere sentences, it's rather daunting to contemplate where actual paragraphs would lead.

Yet I did it.  I wrote something down. Not exactly for public consumption, as only about two people in the entire world even know this blogsite exists. (To be fair, I myself had forgotten about it till last week when it suddenly appeared, rather dusty and dischevelled, from the depths of a forgotten file.)

However I have manoeuvred a bunch of words out of the somewhat crowded muddle of my head, committed them to posterity, and pressed the Publish key.  There exists, therefore, a rather healthy chance that, somewhere between the time I press that key, and the day all computers die; eyes other than mine could light upon this.

So I feel somewhat triumphant.  Two weeks out from coming to terms with the fact that I have actually resigned from writing for anyone else except myself, I have actually done so.

And what a right royal cock-up that's turned out to be.

However I'll keep an eye on my navel and whether it produces any meaningful insights or just blue fluff, I shall have another go at writing about it.

(Hopefully, before then, I'll figure out why, after a lifetime spent sniggering at people who don't know their "there's" from their "theirs", or "to" from "too", this particular skill appears no longer possible to transfer from my brain to my fingers. Which continue to leap about with a life of their own, spitefully churning out possessive "s" for "its", and strewing grocers apostrophes about like confetti.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade