Skip to main content

How's YOUR Female Geography?



When you've spent the last five years in a fog I expect suddenly bursting back into clarity again is going to be an illuminating experience in any circumstances.

To have done it in the Spring is to add all those tropes of rebirth,  and leaving the Underworld that happen to be circulating around from about March. Anyone who is not totally insensate at this time of year is genetically programmed to rise to the call of Nature triumphant.

But to do it in this lockdown has proved exciting, and thrilling, and illuminating by turns - and sometimes all at the same time so I really do, like a girl in a Romcom, gasp audibly and stop in my tracks; quite often. I have twice, unconsciously, but ever so theatrically, raised a hand to my bosom while doing so.

(Apart from the conviction that I was certifiable insane, the Fog really seemed to draw a sort of dark oily fuzz over the perceptions.
Imagine then, what it's been like to round a bend and come face-to-face with a bawdy, lusty double peony!)

So, while Boris and I have been both flitting about discovering May-flower Sleet, and the infinitesimal detail that goes into flowers no bigger than a fingernail...I've been gathering rosebuds while I may, dancing with the daffodils, and Making Great Discoveries.

All of this, you understand, on that higher plane - that ephemeral word of art and nature and poesy & whimsy.



Pretty much as far away from the world of unanchored uteri or  restless bladders as its possible for any woman on earth to be, really. Or, I tend to think, about as far away from such thoughts as every woman on earth wishes to be.

In the middle of a lockdown and all.

Now, until I was about 18 my vocabulary was considered precocious. It became in turns 'considerable', 'surprisingly [!!] competent' and 'unusual'  as I journeyed through the world of marked essays.

I find it intolerably sad that, after all that early hype, my vocabulary, for the purposes of a telephonic diagnosis, became "inadequate".

I knew that, in the middle of a global pandemic, I'd have to have a blind diagnosis reliant upon me adequately conveying, verbally, and sight unseen, an accurate account of what was most definitely not a dry cough or a temperature or a sore throat. One could, I expect, enable the video-chat option, but who the hell would seriously feel blase about sending pics of one's Twinkle Cave to one's doctor? I was reasonably articulate and expensively educated. This was not going to present a problem.

I'd requested a female doctor not from coyness, but because I realised that the best tools I had available for explication were analogy and simile - with the prerequisite that the person to whom I was analogising possessed a vagina.


"Right! I said briskly when asked for symptoms. "It's exactly like that feeling you get when you've had a heavy period and the tampon saturates and starts to slide down because it's so heavy?" The pause I made here had not been so much for acquiescence, but for breath. Until I realised no acquiescence, nor rebuttal, had been forthcoming anyway. I waited a second. Dead silence.

Oh ye gods! She wasn't a tampon user?  She had fixed ideas about tampon-users? She had led an "Out With Tampons!" rally at Uni?

Or, even worse, she didn't have periods?  It was her lifelong sorrow and her secret suffering? She felt cut off from her sisters and I had just exacerbated her feelings of isolation?

Until -  the ultimate moment of horror - the thought struck that she'd never experienced that feeling in her life and so considered I was careless about personal hygiene? And that my mother  hadn't trained me to change my feminine hygiene needs frequently? And was she wondering did she have to start doing this over the phone?

"Uh well, you see, it's that area just near the..." I was immediately stymied.




Hey, I know the words for all the usual bits - but not all the subdivisions in between. There are, in my defence,  a large number of long pipes and tubes distributed about the body. What's the convention: do they have "entrances"? or "necks" (a vision of a scrawny chicken-neck floated into consciousness and I dismissed "neck". ) Are there various quadrants perhaps? Navigational indicators such as half-way points, or "Road narrowing" signs?

And what do you call the space behind the door as you push the entrances to one of these pipes/tubes open and you have to direct traffic over to it?

Fortunately, she began to run down a checklist of symptoms at this stage to which I could happily answer Yes or No. It was when she asked me how it looked that I was once again covered in confusion.

 I mean I know what it looks like. Just to refresh my memory I'd had a bit of a rummage round with a mirror and a Bic lighter the night before.  Everything seemed to be pretty much as I remembered. All still present and correct.

 But how does it look? Er...a bit like a squashed pear? Somewhat overwhelmingly pink? A bit rough around the edges because the wax has run out and I've heard of the Death of a Thousand Cuts so am rather hesitant with the razor? Rather off-putting straight after eating a rather nice dinner?

"Did you see anything that looked a bit strange?"



To tell the truth its always looked a bit strange to me.  I mean its wonderful that the men in one's life  always seem to enjoy pottering about in one's Lady Garden; but you wouldn't want to live there yourself, would you?

However, in the end, we managed to settle on what both of us agreed was a pretty fair guess under the circumstances. So as the afflicted parts have no chance of being dragged into the light of day - or the lights of a surgery, preferably - for at least another 6 weeks I divide my time in the interim between resting and sweat-inducing frantic sets of Kegels at all other times.  Especially when walking Boris. (Which becomes the only true test that you're successfully isolating the right muscles: seeing if you can manage to walk around in public doing them without squinting your eyes, pursing up your mouth and causing small children to run screaming down the street as you walk by.)

Bloody hell, I was thinking, as I scrunched my way down London Road clutching Boris's lead for direction and Kegelling away in what I fondly believed to be a relatively grimace-free way. It's amazing how bloody unglamorous all my life's little drama's seem to be.  I couldn't succumb to anything that rendered me pale and interesting and soulful while there was still some gross reminder of one's body's essential ickyness left to experience.

Just my luck, in the middle of a lockdown, to spend every step I take outside the house wondering if the next one is going to results in various bits that should be on the inside suddenly sliding outside and landing with a splat in the middle of the gobs of spit and strings of gum on the pavement.

What could possibly be more embarrassing than shuffling about with a fixed rictus of effort etched into one's face; doing silent, lonely exercises in the scented May sunshine?

It was exactly at that moment that the extensive bridgework that anchors every one of my top teeth in place furloughed itself and simply dropped out.

 Three groups of rigidly isolated muscles went into spasm and, with a rueful grin of toothless irony, I hobbled down the road in a pastel cloud of May-blossom sleet.

Teach me to ask myself daft questions!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade