Skip to main content

The Flaming Fernando.

 

When my father was 16 he ran away and joined the circus.

Yep - wanted to lead with that line to get this over and done with: - it isn't just a cliche, or a tired plot line. Some people really have, in real life, and from time to time, done it - and my father, George Simcox was one of them.

Even people who are aware that this can be a fact rather than a fiction, looking at George would doubt it.

  He was so much the stereotypical RAF Officer the idea was ludicrous. His hands were always impeccably manicured, his blue-black hair Brylcreamed into submission but for a stray, somewhat romantic, recalcitrant lock. Like Hugh Grant's.

 In his youth he looked a bit like David Niven in all those WW2 movies (" a mean little moustache" my mother always said about that incarnation.) In his middle years, when he and Jimmy Edwards were fighting The Battle of The 'Tache, (which developed into The HandleBar Club still going strong here in Brighton I discovered to my joy. ) he looked jolly and bluff. In his old age he was often joyfully held to be Father Xmas.

But no mater what period of his life it was, he was never regarded as anything other than an English gentleman; and favoured cravats, and blazers, and looked rather smashing in formal dress. A plain, gold signet ring on his little finger; a watch with plain leather strap on his wrist:- some would even doubt he had ever attended a smelly, dusty circus, let alone performed in one. 

His mother having died when he was 4, and all his much older siblings having left home, (two of them had even left the country.), provision had been made upon the death of his father, for George to remain in the house under the stewardship of the Housekeeper. (And  a rather gruff but kindly woman always referred to only as "my friend". So that all these years later I still don't know her name.)

No contest really, for a young kid in the early 30's. Live with two elderly women? Hhhmmm. Run away and join the circus? 

What 16 year old is even going to have to give it two minutes consideration?

He received his performance name before anyone had bothered to find out if he could perform. One of the troupe of acrobats had no sooner dropped out (?)...and in the door walked...The Flying Fernando. I expect it only took one or two rehearsals before it dawned on everyone that Fernando would never fly.

It turned out that Fernando, however, could Flame like a good 'un - and was able to hold a breath for an unusually long time. Which meant he could whoosh fire rather a long way; for rather a long time. 

That celebrated conqueror of Fire - The Flaming Fernando - was born.

Unfortunately he died soon afterwards when the brother remaining  in England found him and hauled him back to Home and School and two women who came to love him unconditionally. (Both of whom  George loved, but one of whom he adored and who I, apparently, called 'Grandma Florrie' on first meeting.)

As a result of this I had grown up unquestioningly  knowing that my daddy was in the RAF and my daddy was a fire-eater.

(If asked about it I would probably have thought his war experiences had involved being flown around in a plane breathing fire on the enemy below.)

 By the age of 6 I was  able to critique his performance. At the age of 16 I joined in as The Glamourous Assistant.

Once.

*So, now we are all sitting comfortably, I shall unfold The Tale of  Flamin' Fernando and his flamin' Glamourous Assistant.


*I am doing this in a rather Dickensian effort to heighten the suspense, of course. But mainly because introducing The Flaming Fernando took longer than I had planned ; and with no pics to break the prose I'm told, is to commit blogging suicide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade