Skip to main content

Bullshit Baffles Brains.


I was about 16 when my father passed on this nugget.  From the hall came my mother’s protest wail.  Followed by a muffled giggle.

The only other Wise Words I can remember my father passing down were “Never trust a Teetotaler”. But those two have been enough to see me through many a tricky situation.

However, I realized after we had moved into The House here that several fathers must have entrusted their progeny with one, at least, of my parent’s rules for life.  So committed to the proposition of b.s. being the key to life had some of these obedient sprogs become that it become their work ethic when they reached man’s estate – it was obviously blu-tacked to the walls of Mears construction team’s office.

I first realized this 6 weeks after we had moved in and I awoke one morning to discover that my mattress, duvet. pillows and the wall behind my head were wet.  Stripping back the mattress to investigate I found a healthy mushroom colony thriving in the carpet and blue-green mould of an interesting shade breaking down the monotony of my white wall.

A stray plumber who happened to be visiting another tenant came in, inspected the bathroom  which lay on the other side of my newly renovated wall and explained that my shower-stall had not been sealed.

Well, hey, that I could understand.  The House, which was supposed to have been ready for occupation the previous December, was still not finished even though we had been moved in and it was now April. Obviously small matters such as finishing a bathroom get overlooked in such a situation.

But also on the premises that day was the horny handed Lower Management Mears project bloke.  He strode into the room, admired the growth, shook his head, rubbed his bristly chin and informed me that the reason we were now having to drag all my ruined bedding down to the skip was squarely my fault.  I looked at him enquiringly.

Apparently sealing a shower doesn’t rank very high in the prevention-of-flood scale. What causes deluges up and down the length of England – if not the whole world – was people going for the Japanese look and putting mattresses on the floor. I must have looked somewhat astonished until he came up with the clincher:

“Well, waddya think bed frames were invented for?” (To prevent unsealed walls leaking? Really? Who knew?)

Meanwhile, down in a basement flat where mould flourished like the green Bay tree lived a mother of a newborn and another, slightly older baby.  This canny mum hadn’t made the mistake of Japanese décor and so her beds weren’t the cause of her problems.

 Nope. Drawing upon his years of experience and arcane engineering knowledge this same genius told her triumphantly that all her  watery/mould problems were due to the fact that she had a tumble-dryer in her home.

Gawd.  Bloody Council tenants, eh?

At one stage someone compiled a list of all the nuggets of indispensable knowledge which Mears construction passed on to us.  Even the fact that our fire alarms got triggered every few days was, in fact, down to us.  After all, it appeared, all over the rest of the country, people who slipped a couple of slices of bread in a toaster  took the sensible precaution of opening each window  and door in the premises first.  Fully. A spot of frost-bite was no deterrent to others intent on Marmite toast with their brekkie.

So for the first 6 months it seemed that my father had been right.  A lot of baffled tenants were indeed wandering the halls wondering whether to report the results of shoddy workmanship, or to simply let a million-pound investment fold damply in upon itself and give final proof to the fact that million-pound investments were wasted on bloody Council tenants.

Until I finally realized that it was a question of semantics: in my father’s interpretation bull-shit was clever.  It was a scatological smoke-screen arrived at with wit and ingenuity.

But to someone unfamiliar with wit and ingenuity “bull-shit” was unambiguous.  It had only one meaning. It was a two-syllabled synonym for a four-letter word for those who think polysyllabics are more imposing than single syllables.  All it meant was “lies”.  As in other two-syllable synonyms. Porkies. Whoppers.  Untruths.

So that was when we finally decided, my father’s words notwithstanding,  that none of our brains were going to accept this kind of bull shit.


And that was when we finally declared the whole issue unacceptable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade