Skip to main content

Kids Today?



There are persons everywhere who would find the juxtaposition of the words “Respect” and “People on Benefits” very strange. Their knee-jerk response would be that people who choose to waste their time in school, have babies in their teens, and live off everyone else’s taxes,  are not deserving of respect. Hell, I might even have been one of them, once.

The first time I ever heard about Council tenants  and people living off benefits was in the Isle of Wight, where I had taken my two sons for their summer holidays to stay with their grandmother. We were living in South Africa then and had no experience of the Welfare State.

Though I can’t remember who he was, I remember walking down my mother’s street towards the Cowes Ferry and chatting with some bloke.  We passed a small, two storey nest of flats with open balconies and summer flowers spilling from window boxes.

“See them there?” my forgotten companion asked rather redundantly as we were right in front of the building.

“Hmmm. Pretty flowers.” I answered vaguely.

“Council Flats” he growled in the same tone one would use to introduce the gates of hell.

I was pleasantly surprised.  My impression of Council Flats had been gleaned from media.  I’d imagined they were solely to be found in tower blocks with graffiti all over the walls, broken glass on the ground  and malevolent harpies screaming obscenities in bleak and battered playgrounds.

“They’re very nice.” I said, though they seemed claustrophobically small to me.

“Yeah. Well they should be.  That’s where our taxes go, y’know.  Yours n’ mine.”

I told him that I rather thought my taxes were currently buying Caspars and MK47s.  These seemed a much better deal.

“Bloody girls here,” he instructed me “don’t know nothing about what’s goin’ on in the rest of the world. Get bored with school, so they decide to get themselves pregnant to any bugger that comes along, so's they can get a free place to live with you n’ me footing the bill.”  I refrained from reminding him that my taxes would have a long journey ahead of them in order to support anyone in England.

But he was on a roll and planted himself squarely on the footpath under an open window to explain to me the views of the Man on the Clapham Bus.

I had no reason to disbelieve him. He lived here and I, at that time, didn’t. But…I’d been a teenager.  I was a female. I had children myself. I couldn’t imagine that scores of kids were giving up parties and clubs, and  mum-delivered morning cuppas to jam themselves into small spaces with squalling babies and sick on their shoulders and social isolation.

I’m so far from being a teen now  it might be feasible to believe that kids to-day are different.  After all, that’s the current concept. 

And yet…..

I’ve been here for two years now.  I live  in Council Flats myself.  The majority of my neighbours are single mums of all ages, backgrounds, cultures.  I’ve met their friends, families, colleagues. I work with many others in various groups and committees.  I’ve seen them try to commit suicide; I’ve held them when they wept; I’ve listened to them when they’ve broken down; I’ve tried to encourage them when they just can’t take any more. And I’ve laughed with them when we all knew that the only other option was total despair.

 I’ve yet to meet a single one who deliberately engineered a teen pregnancy in order to cheat the good people of the world of their taxes.

 I have heard stories that made me want to weep; I’ve listened to accounts of a kind of life I wouldn’t expect anyone to survive; I’ve watched them go through the indignity of life under constant supervision and intervention; and I’ve admired the steel that so many have in their backbones.

But I’ll keep on trying.  One day I’ll find them: that rich mother-lode of teenagers who are so well-known by the media and all the men and women on the Clapham bus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade