Skip to main content

Benefits Street,
Brighton.


February Ist.

I looked back at the very first of these very patchy blogs to-day. I couldn't remember when I wrote it, but I can tell that I was very, very angry.

I was going to delete whatever I had written last year; because last year lies under a pretty frightening fog for me, and so much of it is sketchy. 

But  I'm not going to axe them now that I've thought about it.  Because last year I had a nervous breakdown. And I guess whatever the hell I wrote last year was what I was honestly thinking -so yes, I was very, very angry. And I'm going to own that.

Now I'm finally climbing back up out of that place, I can see that a person's brain doesn't just yell "Enough!" and pull down the shutters on a whim. The shutters only slam shut when it's already had enough. So I was aware of that fact - it had just never walked up and slapped me upside the head before.

Because this isn't the first time I've been broken.  I was diagnosed with bi-polar when I was 12 - which was way before children were  allowed s to have mental problems, let alone be medicated for behavioural problems.  So yeah, I've known a few psych. wards in my time.

But, this is the first time I haven't been hospitalised when I've had a breakdown.  And the first time I've ever had to do it without additional drugs. Or a shrink. Or support.  It's the mental equivalent of giving birth in a shining maternity unit with a team of trained personal and supportive friends and the anonymous but seemingly numerous, loved ones.... and doing it on your own in a cabin in the woods with no running water.

But I'm doing it. And a whole lot of other things have just hit me upside the head too.  The main one being that I'm a bit of a slow learner.

 Because I've spent my entire life maintaining strongly and convincingly that the fact of being bi-polar has never made any difference to my life.  I've gone on and lived it  exactly as I would have done had I NOT had a tendency to the occasional bouts of do-lallyness. 

All of which I have only now - NOW - realised, is a huge, steaming pile of bull-crap. Which might also have contributed to my huge, steaming, anger. 

 But I'm no longer angry. Because at last I realise that, actually, the whole course of my bizarre, crazy life has been affected at just about every turn by the fact that I do have a mental illness. I just never admitted to myself before that, dammit, I should - at least in the privacy of my own home computer - take a teensy bit more pride in everything I have accomplished. (And also, one day, get around to conceding that those things have not, in anyone's book, been negligible.....though with ancient, nunly injunctions against the Sin of Pride still running widdershins in my brain, conceding that may take a little more time.) 

So I guess that finally, I'm coming out.

OK - not the "Hello, my name is Cireena and I'm a part-time loony.'  Just, "Hey, this is me and I may be a bit of a fuckup but, that's never stopped me from doing anything I was determined to do." 

So.  Right now I want a chance to speak out? I'm looking for places that will allow me to communicate with people? I want the chance to do the things I know will make a difference?

Then why the hell am I Uriah Heeping around in the hope that I'll be offered something that might start me off on the long haul to getting known again? To having permission to do the only things I can do? I'm not the same person I was each time I scraped myself up off the floor and got going again, anyway. So I can't get known as her again.

And, apart from these recent, but woefully overdue realisations, I have a couple of new weapons in my armoury this time too - social media.  

So I've decided to give it a go one more weary time...and  to hell with waiting for someone else to see my glimmer of light way off in the distance. I may not be full of anger any more, but I still  keep some of it on simmer when it comes to social injustice;  and spousal violence. and the rap that people on benefits get; and the way Mears calls the shots on our lives; and the fact that we don't have a valid Voice.

So no.  I'm not going to delete previous posts and start all over. The fact that there is anything at all posted in 2015 only shows that, despite almost losing my mind for good, I kept on trying.  The fact that I did so in a muddled, spasmodic, unedited way is just the way I, at times,  roll.  

Gonna do what I can with what I got - and I'm not going to stop achieving things just yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade