Skip to main content

Do You Have Passion? Wanna talk about it?


To-day I gave a talk at the Sallis Benney Theatre.

I had to.  It was the only way to tell if I was really getting better or if I was just on a temporary, manic, phase. Quite the conundrum.

I explained in the first post of this year that I had had a rather long-drawn-out mental breakdown last year  (which was honestly earned!). It involved realising that I had to take on a whole new life. And I didn't know if I was going to be able to do that, or if it was even going to be possible. I was starting to write again - but did I have my mojo back? Or had it taken another turn?

There was only one way to find out so I did it.

And the answer was: - hell yeah! From the moment I got up from my seat it was as though all the events of the past three years had never happened: I was back in my skin. Because the brief had been to talk about something one felt strongly about, or had a passion about - and I was suddenly spoilt for choice! Women in the canon of English Literature? China and the Education System?  Women in China? The changing English language?

 For the first since leaving my life behind,  I had something to be passionate about that didn't involve survival.

But of course, I spoke about Benefits St. Brighton.  I realised that if I couldn't communicate with people any more then all the passion in the world wasn't going to do me much good. And this, this way of experiencing life at the bottom of the social ladder was what I felt so strongly about that it had contributed to my falling off my trolley - because I was so inescapably helpless. For the first time in my life...I had no voice.

But suddenly, I not only knew I was going to use my voice whether I was given permission or not - and then next minute a means was presented: not only to me, but to other Brightonians as well.

It seems the nationwide organisation of Speakers Forum is losing its organiser: I was asked if I was interested?

So what do you think? Since we started to raise our profile for the Regency Town House I've come across so many people who feel strongly about many things - and have passion for things some people have never even heard of! And me - well, I'm going to keep on and on about US down here at the bottom of the social hierarchy until people start to hear.  (And then I'll start on women's history and China.)

But the chance to give reign, for five glorious minutes, to  something close to your heart (the fate of small museums; hip-hop as social comment; our Regency Heritage?) or to explain something that drives you insane - tele-marketers? Parking in Brighton? High-rises on Hove beachfront? - or even the chance to give stand-up comedy a go?

There's a portable podium that can be set up anywhere so you don't even have to provide the soap-box!

One of my biggest missions right now is to break the stereotyping of people on benefits. And one of the ways one can do anything about it is to present ourselves as individuals and not as an entire, homogenised social strata.  Talking to each other, hearing different sides to stories, learning about differences  -  breaks down barriers .That's why I want to speak out,

We have such a polyglot society in Brighton - we're fortunate to live in one of the most tolerant, non-judgemental cities in the country. We're also fortunate to have such a mix of cultures. skills, ethnicities and experiences.  Shouldn't we be talking to, and learning from, each other more?

Would you share five minutes, say, once a month talking to other Brightonions?  Or simply listening to them?  Do you know people who would like to? Because I think we have enough bright, funny, clever, innovative, interesting and passionate people to get the ball rolling again and start taking advantage of this fantastical mix of peoples and passions to get to know each other.

But it's no good having a soap box - or a collapsible podium - if no-one but me is going to use it.

So what do you think - want to have a talk?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade