Skip to main content



A few minutes ago I did something absolutely stupendous.  I don’t expect anyone noticed.  In fact a couple may have done that shuffley thing many English women do when they start off being embarrassed and metaphorically shake themselves, remembering that it’s ok to talk about mental illness now. (Not being snide – I find it endearing).

See, it’s one thing to talk about it, but it’s quite another to throw it casually into the conversational pit. Especially when that conversation is public and with people one’s never met.

Oh, I’ll sit in front of an audience and tell a few hundred people about mental illness. I’ll write articles about it and get interviewed about it quite happily. Literally - because I’m always so happy to get people engaging and talking freely. Especially the one’s who’ve gone all their lives thinking they were the only ones.

But socially – well it’s pretty much the kiss of death.Try sipping your glass of complimentary wine, when someone says over the hub-bub, “How have you been?.” It’s social convention, of course, not a genuine enquiry. You know that: but sometimes, there’s such an overwhelming urge to say
 “I’m ok as long as I’m in here but the minute I walk out that door I have an urge to walk out into the traffic.
 But, hey enough about me. How are you?”

You just can’t do that sort of thing to people, though.  And even though I might have my moments, I am not a cruel woman. I would never advocate being ungracious. Nor would I want, willingly, to embarrass someone else. I know perfectly well that scenario would probably qualify as someone else’s worst nightmare.

But I can’t swear that I would never dream of doing it. I do, often.

Fortunately  I have always had people around me that I could say things like that to. And those occasional sleep-overs in The Bin means you get surrounded by other people who have been similarly constrained. I think that release is part of the cure:    “Hey Cass, whatsup?”
 “Jaysus, they were half an hour late with the meds to-day! I started running round looking for me chainsaw.” (C’mon: we do-lally’s have a sense of humour too, y’know.)

The other reason we can’t ever make reference to our state of mind except to close friends or those similarly affected, is that there are those who think that mentioning it in convos. is some kind of one up-manship. Like a Blackdog day/week/month/year somehow trumps diabetes but folds to leukaemia, perhaps?

There's a school of thought also that we are just attention seeking narcissists who use “so-called” mental illness as an excuse for our failings and should have been smacked regularly as children. Considering that at one school I went to, the cane hadn’t been used in over 20 years and was revived exclusively for me, I consider myself well, and absolutely professionally, smacked quite enough for one childhood though.

And finally  it’s I doing the mental shuffling:- ok, I confess: I don’t/didn’t like people to think I was a bit strange. Especially not the people one interacts with professionally. Because they don’t know how this works and it puts them in an awful quandry. Do they discount every word from my lips? Pat me on the back and thank me for my paper but bin it in the office?

And I realised: I don’t know.

Maybe, (as so many things are) it’s all in the head and I’ll never learn the truth of it? Maybe they figure that if I’m walking and talking the brain must be engaged to at least functioning capacity? Maybe they just think ‘Oh shit! Not another paper to read!’

I have had to accept that, without treatment or support, I am never going to be as I used to be. But, meh! If you absolutely have to face a fact that will impede you, you have to learn how to live with that fact. Unless you are, indeed, certifiably insane. And I just took a huge step to that end. (Oh yeah: no baby-steps for this baby!).

So from now on, I don’t have the flu. Or a gyppy tummy. I haven't had sudden visitors, or had to go away. 

The Black Dog of a downer is currently lodged contentedly on my shoulder. And I didn’t lie about it. Dear god, if all the people I deal with around the place got together to compare notes on how often my frail body is wracked with illness they’d conclude I was a walking marvel of nature and would beg my body for Science.

So I’m not going to make excuses any longer. I’m just going to put an icon. That’s how I am. At the moment. I’m in a bad patch. That’s not to claim special status. That’s just how I am right now. Tomorrow? I could get rushed up in an express lift  right to the top of the buildingon a high.

So yeah, I’m not too good. But the great thing is if anyone was even thinking of offering sympathy, by the time they did I’ll probably have shot out of it.

How dumb of me to bewail that so many people don’t know how to react to admissions of mental illness when we – well certainly “I” – won’t give them a chance to!

So thanks all you wonderful and strong women. I’ve been emboldened by you all to actually, practically, not just face the fact that my life is a bit different now in a lot of ways: but to finally make a plan of how to factor this in.

It isn’t just with an icon, of course, that’s just s symbol - which I wouldn’t use very much anyway.


But I really have done something rather momentous, and you guys have been the all unwitting agency for it. 

Crazy how we rarely think we impact on others - yet it happens.  Thanks once more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade