Skip to main content

I Want to be a Wildfire Woman.

                                                         


I have just spent most of my weekend with Wildfire Women and my blood is still tingling.

 For the first time I 've been in a gathering in the UK at which I didn’t feel like the World’s Greatest Imposter. Nor did that Girl in The Bubble feeling overwhelm me. (I must assure you that I really was a girl when I named this feeling). And –bonus- I got to dance. Bit of a misnomer that – I just got up and made an arse of myself as has been my lifelong wont. And for the first time in far too long I did it without feeling anyone gave a damn. And its been far too long since I’ve done that.

I didn’t, at first, even get what Wildfire Women was all about; which I deftly translated into massive guilt which consumed me for the greater part of the first day.

It was true that all these other women appeared to have been on the bones of their arses; or been traumatised in their past; or battled illnesses both mental and physical and were radiant and strong and inspiring as they told their stories. And we paid them the homage they so richly deserved.

But I and my blackdog sat there feeling like the bad fairy at the  Christening. How could one even hint to these shiny, happy women that, goddammit, rising up from adversity  step by painful step does not guarantee all the gold at the rainbows end? 

Because, no matter how unlikely it may seem, there are those in the world who also conquer adversity, and then find themselves starting from scratch again not just once, nor twice; but to an extent that would make one agree with Lady Bracknell ‘seems like carelessness.’

The talk all around me was of reiki and massage and meditation, people traded information on that or were busy networking, and I was, as usual, observing everything from a distance, through the walls of my plastic bubble.

I almost didn’t go back the next day, but didn’t want to appear rude, so I did. And from the moment I stepped through the door I started fizzing: there was a different feeling in the air.  I began to get what Wildfire Women was all about.

It’s about women empowering other women.  It’s exactly what I’ve been tied up with most of my life.  It’s about supporting women who want to go round the hierarchical model rather than dressing in power suits and feeding their ulcers. It’s a female model where the life force is not overtaken by the work force. Where doing things at one’s own pace is recognised; where baby-steps are celebrated; time for oneself doesn’t make one unprofessional; and love and laughter is intrinsic, rather than operating on a different plane from the business model.

It’s about the way I’ve always worked: and it’s working as I’ve always dreamed it could.

And on Day 2 it went to work on me.

It was serendipitous that I found Wildfire Women in my town only a couple of days after I had written my last blog.  In it I was celebrating the inspirational women on my Tweetfeed, and had taken strength from them to stop lying about the reasons I’ve been so ill.  It’s not physical, it’s mental, and I’m going to own it.

But now, after this weekend? I plucked up courage and put my name down for classes at Gym.  Rather than creeping from machine to machine downstairs I came up into the light and interacted with Other People. And I really, really enjoyed feeling the endorphins come strolling on back after a longer vacation they’d ever taken before.  Only the braver ones, of course, but I reckon they’re all on the turn now.

So I grabbed the card too, of a magical Brazillian women who brought her troupe both to dance for us and with us – on Sunday morning. I’m pretty confidently looking forward to making the phone call that’ll include me in her one and a half hour sessions. Which will probably shred me at first: but which could also bring laughter and fun back into my life where it’s always been before.

And, instead of waiting to get better, I’ve accepted this’ll be as good as it gets: so I’ve decided to book myself in to do a thing in Hove Grown – the pre-Fringe, pre-pre Festival next year. I have no idea yet what I’m going to do: a kinda vague outline exists way in the back of the rags and patches of pre-now me which still survive.  But it doesn’t really matter. I’ll do it.

I listened to the wild women; I talked to many and heard their stories and at some point on Sunday I realised that the plastic bubble, like a child’s balloon, had floated away unnoticed, and I was back in the world. After more than two years of being away I’m stepping gingerly back...

At the moment Blackdog is shaking himself, and yawning and looking around him for a more comfortable perch.  He hasn’t actually found it yet, and keeps yapping in my ear that I’m a plonker  to think anything’s changed; that he’s the only one who has been with me through thick and thin;  that without him I’m nothing.

But me – well I’m still fizzing and bubbling for now. I can’t begin to describe all that this weekend was about, nor adequately describe the ideas of Thea and Cat who organised Sunday’s event. But any woman who want to connect to real life, make dreams into reality, share support, get vital information, or just ask questions,  go have a look at:- https://wildfirewomen.co.uk/.


Go get your mojo on ladies;  we’ve come a long way. Now let’s just go a little bit further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Turned into an Acorn.

  ....in the beginning.                                               I came to England directly from China where I'd been Lecturing for 7 years.  A chap who contacted me while I was there & said he was doing so because he was a friend of a friend of mine at the British Council,, suggested we work together: he had the premises for a school in Eton and I would bring over a couple of teachers & contacts from China to help teach at the school. It was all lined up & I saw this as a kind of Wonder-Job: I couldn't wait to get started. (And the plate glass windowed flat high up at tree level was all blonde wood & brushed-steel kitchen appliances.) The fourth day of being in England my putative "partner" declared bankruptcy. And I also discovered that the person whom he'd cited as a mutual friend at the British Council had never heard of him.Thus the whole reason for me being where I was, at that time, suddenly disappeared. And now I had no accommodation,

re cycling

                      The Brighton & Hove Circular Economy                   Action Plan 2020 - 2035 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/business-and-trade/brighton-hove-circular-economy-action-plan-2020-2035#tab--promoting-circular-economy-activity-across-the-city This jargon-filled mission statement regarding recycling is published by Council. Full of momentary fashionable misuse of perfectly simple but unexplained concepts such as 'stakeholders' and 'circular economy', it is not aimed at local residents, small business and shop owners, those for whom English is a second language, or, importantly, the 'average' person . It is a mangled word-fest presumably aimed at other Councils, as was so much of Brighton & Hove Council's public communication under the previous administration. So as is usual with many of Councils "public" documents, two thirds of the population are confused - and bored stiff - by them; others are intimidated, and still oth

I finally Get why Alice's sister Fell Asleep in the Shade!

   Yes, I do mean Alice as in Alice in Wonderland. She  who, 150 years later, was to inspire plot-lines for Soaps and B-Grades with the (now) evergreen It Was All a Dream- ending for years to come. And the reason I am referring to Alice is because, until those hot days we had recently, I never had completely understood how, on a hot summer's day, anyone could really fall asleep under a tree? Not that I ever breathed this puzzlement to a soul: nothing I had ever read, seen or heard over an increasingly longer period of time, seemed to indicate there was a flaw in this reasoning. Everyone else obviously understood.  As this has undoubtedly been the status quo for around three quarters of a rather peripatetic life, one sometimes one has to get a grip on asking too many questions. The line people draw between eagerly intelligent fact gathering, and total imbecility, is shorter than you may realise. But now, finally, like a bucket of iced-water over the head, I discovered that shade